While I am not vegan I’ve been trying to make a real, conscious effort to eat less meat and dairy. While Ryan and I typically follow a pescetarian diet and limit our dairy intake, we’ve been reaching for way more plant-based, vegan options as of late.
One of my favourite quick delicious vegan meals is this sweet potato and broccoli bowl! Plus it’s SO easy to make and super customizable.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 8 cups)
- 2 medium heads broccoli, chopped (about 8 cups)
- 2 to 3 tbsp avocado oil (I used Chosen Foods)
For the sweet potato and broccoli seasoning:
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the garnish:
- 1 tbsp vegan queso (I just combine 1 cup soaked cashews, 4 oz canned chopped green chiles, 1/2 cup water, juice of one lemon and 1 tsp salt-free taco seasoning in blender and pulse until creamy)
- 1 tbsp salsa verde (I get mine from Trader Joe’s)
- 1/2 small avocado, sliced
- hemp seeds (as much or as little as you want)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In a large bowl, mix together chopped sweet potato and broccoli with avocado oil and seasonings, tossing well to evenly coat.
- Transfer veggies onto large baking sheet and roast in the oven for 30 minutes, tossing vegetables once halfway through.
- Sweet potatoes should be fork tender and broccoli nice and crisp. Serve immediately with desired toppings and enjoy!