Hey beauties! September is almost here and besides dreaming of pumpkin spice lattes (ok- pumpkin everything) and fashion week, that means one thing: it’s time to go BACK TO SCHOOL! While it’s a no brainer that nails go side by side with your hair, makeup and outfit for that first day back, it can be tricky to nail down the perfect (Instagram-worthy) look.
To help you decide, I teamed up with Sally Hansen to create four, super easy nail looks! I used shades from their Miracle Gel line to ensure long-lasting, gel-like shine – easily removed with regular nail polish remover, which basically means less stress for you! The zero-light Miracle Gel system takes only two easy steps to create super chip-resistant colour that can last up to two weeks! The brushes are amazing and align perfectly with your cuticle making any clean up virtually unnecessary. Also, did you know that Canada has over 70 shades of Miracle Gel? Trust me, you’ll never get bored – the nail art possibilities are endless!
In order to cater to everyone’s taste, there are two looks for those of you who don’t want to let summer go, and two looks for those of you who can’t wait for fall:
For the fall lover: PLAID NAILS
You can never go wrong with plaid nails! It’s been a go-to of mine at this time of the year for as long as I can remember. Here’s a quick how-to:
1) Apply two coats of Midnight Mod and let dry for 5 minutes
2) Using a striping brush apply two horizontal lines using Off With Her Red, let dry and repeat vertically on each nail creating your plaid design
3) Seal in for gel-like shine with Sally Hansen Miracle Gel Top Coat making sure to cap the tips
For the fashionista: NEGATIVE SPACE NAILS
Burgundy nails are always classy and when you add a negative space concept it becomes ultra vampy (+ it won’t stain your cuticles when removing)! Here’s a quick how-to:
1) Apply two coats of Wine Stock, leaving a bare half-moon near your cuticles and let dry for 5 minutes – you can use a striping brush to achieve this as well
2) Seal in and cap the tips with Sally Hansen Miracle Gel Top Coat
To make this look really stand out, you can apply a coat of Sally Hansen Big Matte Top Coat for an ultrachic velvety smooth look (see below). Apply the Big Matte Top Coat over Miracle Gel Top Coat to ensure that your mani lasts up to 14 days
For the girly-girl: GRADIENT NAILS
For those of you who aren’t ready to let summer go, this soft gradient is a must. These Pantone inspired shades will make sure you stay stylish in 2016. Here’s a quick how-to:
1) Apply two coats of Get Mod (while this is optional, a white base will always help a gradient look pop) and let dry for 5 minutes
2) Layer Sugar Fix and Pinky Promise on a makeup sponge side by side vertically and repeat until sponge is covered
3) Dab sponge onto your nail until fully covered with colour
4) Finally, seal in your gradient for long-lasting shine with Sally Hansen Miracle Gel Top Coat and cap the tips
For the minimalist: STRIPED NAILS
This look is so chic and easy, it’s sure to be foolproof for nail art beginners! Here’s a quick how-to:
1) Apply two coats of shade Prince Char-Mint (NEW from their Royal Splendor Collection) and let dry for 5 minutes
2) Using a striping brush, or toothpick, create a horizontal line above the cuticle on each nail using Mauve-olous, (also from the NEW Royal Splendor Collection)
3) For an ultra-plush finish, seal in with Sally Hansen Miracle Gel Top Coat, making sure to cap the tips
These are just some of my favourite back to school nail looks, I tried to keep them simple, well-rounded and easy to re-create. I know not everyone wants to paint rulers, school supplies or apples on their nails for back to school. If you prefer going with a solid colour, check out these shades from the Sally Hansen Plaid City Fall 2016 Collection:
Shade names from L to R TOP to BOTTOM: Off With Her Red, Midnight Mod, Cream Of The Crop, Wine Stock
My tips? Make sure your nails are completely dry and bare before starting; I like to use a quick swipe of nail polish remover to help ensure this. If doing a gradient design, you can apply liquid-latex or tape to the area surrounding your nail so clean up will be easier.
I hope that these looks have helped inspire you guys! I know that this time of year is already stressful enough without worrying about how you’re going to style your nails.
Sally Hansen Miracle Gel nail polishes retail at $11.95 CAD at drug and mass retailers across Canada. Be sure to check out Sally Hansen Canada and @sallyhansenca for more information and endless nail inspiration.
What will your back to school nails look like? Let me know in the comments below, or tag me on Instagram (@laurenslist) I love to see your looks!
*Post kindly sponsored by SALLY HANSEN CANADA. All opinions are always my own*