Hi my loves! I know it’s been a while since my last blog post but life has been so crazy lately, between looking with my fiancé to buy our first house, travelling and working on a bunch of new and exciting partnerships I’ve barely had time to post. But I’m glad to say that I’m back and I figured this would be the perfect time to write another post on nail stamping as Halloween is quickly approaching! You may remember I first tried my hand at nail stamping last year around the holidays and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was – not only is it a major time-saver when you’re in a rush but it also guarantees flawless nail art.
I know that nail stamping can still be somewhat intimidating, especially if you are a beginner so I wanted to share a few tips & tricks that I’ve picked up over time from nail stamping. I know that there are tons of tutorials online on how-to combine different design plates on one nail or how to use different colours within one design so I thought I’d share something a little different… Today I’m going to show you how to create your very own nail stamping decal! This advanced technique is one of my absolute favourites and you don’t have to be a pro to master it. Let’s get right to it starting with my tips & tricks:
TIPS & TRICKS: NAIL STAMPING 101
- If you find the design too big for your nail, simply pop out your stamper and stretch it before rolling it over your design. This way, when it stretches back into place your design will have shrunk and fit more accordingly to your nail. 🙂
- USE A CLEAR STAMPER!! This will help SO much in seeing where your design is being placed on your nail (Trade Secrets carries this amazing MoYou Kaleidoscopic one that I’m uber obsessed with).
- Move quickly – if you wait to long before rolling your stamper over your design the polish will dry out and won’t adhere.
- Use an opaque polish, thicker polish; these are the easiest for nail stamping. If your polish is too sheer the stamper will not pick up any colour. I love the CND Vinylux range for nail stamping.
- Always clean your design plate and stamper between use. There’s nothing worse than having bits of leftover polish, dust or cotton being transferred onto your nail and ruining your mani.
- Wait before applying topcoat – if you do this too quickly or use a too-thin topcoat it will smudge your design.
HOW-TO: CREATE A CUSTOM NAIL STAMPING DECAL, MAJOR NAIL HACK!!
- Apply base colour to all of your nails (I used CND Vinylux Denim Patch from the Craft Culture Fall 2016 Collection)
- Apply polish to desired design (I used CND Vinylux in Leather Satchel from the Craft Culture Fall 2016 Collection as polish and MoYou London Steampunk Collection 02 Plate for the design) and roll your stamper across the plate, picking up the design, I find that clear stampers work best for this as you can see what your decal will look like before it’s on your nail
- Apply a non-fast drying topcoat over the entire design once it is ON the stamper – I use essie ‘good to go’ topcoat for this
- Using a nail art brush choose a different shade (I used CND Vinylux Brass Button from the Craft Culture Fall 2016 Collection) and colour in whichever areas that you want to have a different colour
- Apply a tiny bit of topcoat to your nails (dry-brush technique works best) to act as an adhesive and then transfer your brand new stamping decal onto your nails, trimming any excess with nail scissors
So there you have it lovelies, easy-peasy! You can easily layer different design plates as well by quite literally layering them on top of each other on your nail, this is also an easy way to achieve that “advanced” look. Also, don’t be shy to leave any nail stamping tricks of your own in the comments below, I’d love to hear them. 🙂
MoYou London products are currently available at your local Trade Secrets as well as online – MoYou stamping plates retail at $13.95 CAD while starter kits retail at $29.95 CAD. For more information check out @tradesecretsca and Trade Secrets.
*Post kindly sponsored by TRADE SECRETS. All opinions are always my own.*